Tuesday, August 9, 2011

08/09/11: Worse Before Better

Been a rollercoaster of health for the last week. After my first chemo cycle, although I had felt great initially, new symptoms from chemo (extreme constant nausea) started collecting with my old symptoms (coughing, shortness of breath, fatigue) getting worse. Last Sunday (07/31) I couldn't lie down without coughing uncontrollably without stopping until I sat back up. Also as the day progressed my breathing became extremely difficult, to the point where at certain moments it was like I was suffocating between strategic breaths. That night and Monday night I had to sleep sitting up in a chair, but really, not much sleep actually happened.

Tuesday (08/02) afternoon, alongside the two nights of lack of sleep compounded, I felt particularly fatigued that no amount of sleep would seem to satisfy. Before lunch I started a coughing spell that ended in me vomiting just bile, a stipulation that my doctor said warranted a trip to the hospital, and that's exactly where my Mom knew to take me.

We returned to the Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center Emergency Room where they took blood, administered a chest x-ray, set up an IV for hydration and nausea medicine, and briefly had me on oxygen. The blood work came back slightly anemic, explaining why I had been feeling weak lately and because of my cough and shortness of breath decided it be best if I stayed the night. That night I received more nausea medicine as well as a steroid to decrease inflammation and hopefully combat the coughing. Although what really raised my spirits that night were the flurry of visitors I got, reminding me of the incredible support system that I have. I thank each and every one of you that made it

Wednesday (08/03), the next day, they had scheduled a thoracentesis, a procedure they had wanted to do a month ago at my last hospital stay but there was not enough fluid for them to do it. This time the x-ray showed an abundant amount, some of the "worst they'd ever seen" and promptly did the procedure that drained roughly a 1.5 liters of fluid pressing against my lungs causing the cough and shortness of breath. The doctors were nice enough to let me take a video of it which I've posted below. WARNING: It's not for the faint of heart, so practice caution when viewing.

Although there was some initial and expected discomfort as my lung re-expanded, I immediately felt better and was discharged Thursday (08/04) afternoon with just a new prescription for pain meds until the discomfort went away. I can honestly say this is the best I've felt in the two months since this all began. I don't know how long it'll last, but I'm appreciating it a day at a time and it's helped fuel my hope.


Now for the video:

1 comment:

  1. Jusin It's Jihaari. I've been wondering about what's been going on with you. Now I know. You sound like you are handeling eveything very well and that hopes are up and up. I have faith that all this will be over soon and you will be back making awesome short films and sweet movies. Me and Megan are coming down next week and want to see you if not for just an hour that would be great. Could you tell me where you will be next week. Here is my email
    isthisit14@yahoo.com
    I want to see you buddy.
    Jihaari

    ReplyDelete