Saturday, March 24, 2012

03/24/12: Lots of News!

I apologize for the negligence, as the process continued it became more rote, less prone to the extreme ups and downs of before and I wanted to keep this blog to update on the broad strokes of my recovery. I've kept in touch with as many and my friends and family as I could, but I guess apart of me didn't want to "jinx" the recovery by declaring absolutes on here, as I've learned, nothing can be expected. But I want everyone to know who's out there and supporting me, and it seems now as time has passed that I can finally confidently talk about my recovery without fear of it regressing, because all of you mean very much to me, as you'll see.

So, onto the news:

- Since my last post, I received a PET Scan mid-Decemeber that indicated that all of the cancer cells have died. This was extraordinary news and I finished two more chemotherapy cycles (two months) as mandated, ending that treatment in mid-February. I am grateful to everyone at the Sarcoma Oncology Center in Santa Monica for the excellent and caring treatment. I still have appointments once a month with them to flush my port-a-cath and to run blood labs. (The next is on 04/02).

- I was recommended to see a Radiologist because of the initial large size of my tumor and as is protocol for Hodgkin's lymphoma, as radiation can prevent it from coming back. We went back to UCLA at the end of February to see if I was eligible for further treatment, and I was, and they drew up a three week plan for low dosage radiation treatment from 03/09 - 03/29, wherein I'd receive treatment every weekday. And every Monday I visit with a doctor during the treatment I talk to a doctor.

- I've been going through the program with infrequent side effects, but a few have occurred such as the feeling of chest heaviness, a cough, and some skin irritation. But since the dose is low, it's nothing too lasting, and it is certainly not as debilitating as the side effects of chemotherapy. However, I've been told that the side effects of the radiation may last up to an additional month after treatment, so I am still cautious and have checked expectations regarding them.

- After my treatment is another round of scans to determine how the cancer has fared and, if well, follow-up appointments for more scans will be spread out about every three months (not including the monthly flushes and labs at the Sarcoma Oncology Center).

- My doctor at UCLA has told me that about a quarter of the mass is still there, "a sliver over my heart". but that it appears to be just scar tissue that may never go away, but should, hopefully, remain inactive.

This whole experience has been a whirlwind, and I've been extremely cautious to look away from the light at the end of the tunnel because I thought of it as irresponsible, considering the severity of the condition at the beginning. But now, as I get closer, the light is so near and so blinding that there's nowhere I can look away that it doesn't touch. All of you have been propelling me towards it, supporting me, being there, being so extremely generous, and now finally giving me the strength to see the hope at the end. Thanks to all of you I can finally hope again. And for that, I am indebted.

No comments:

Post a Comment