Friday, July 15, 2011

07/15/11: First Steps.

It's been a hectic last couple of days, but with that came lots of new information and action, so I won't delay any further.

On Wednesday (07/13) I had my first appointment at the Sarcoma Oncology Center here in Santa Monica, where I gave consent to participate in the Picasso Study. If I qualify, it's a possibility that I'll be taking a newer chemo medicine alongside the chemo medicine I would take anyways. The physician at the center said my chances to qualify are based on the grade of the tumor, which the final pathology from UCLA Santa Monica determined as low to intermediate. As long as the center's pathologists can determine that it's at least intermediate, I qualify, and the physician believed my chances were good. If I don't qualify for the study, I will still be treated with the same medicine, just not the newer one. Because the grade of the tumor has been confirmed as low to intermediate, chemotherapy is the best first step in an effort to shrink it down, because as is, it's inoperable. It is not a guarantee, but it's a start.

On Thursday (08/13), my mom was able to squeeze me in at UCLA's Ronald Reagan facility to implant a port-a-cath under my skin so I would be ready when my chemotherapy started. We arrived at 2:00 p.m. and left at 8:00 p.m. and despite the fact that I couldn't eat or drink until the operation at around 4:00, it went smoothly. There is still pain around the incision, but it's been subsiding gradually since the surgery. However, I got two migraines in less than a 12 hour period, which has never happened and I don't know if it's a consequence from the medicine and anesthetic administered during the surgery or something dietary/lack of hydration.

As far as my overall health, some shortness of breath has come back after minor activity and my usual short-lived chest pain in the morning has been lasting much longer. My legs also still don't quite feel right with possible swelling at the knees and ankles, but I believe it's still a matter of lack of use, which is something I need to be more adamant about remedying.

My next appointment is next Tuesday (07/19) with my primary doctor for this particular case. I may have another appointment at the Sarcoma Oncology Center on Monday as well, but we've still got to wait for their pathologists to give them the okay to begin treating me.

I appreciate all the warm words and concerns you've all been sending me, and I'm now glad there is a plan in place to fight this thing!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the updates. Just to let you know, I've been following along on Google Reader, which is why I haven't commented directly.

    ReplyDelete